Networker

Re: [Networker] Cloning performance

2004-10-29 10:19:41
Subject: Re: [Networker] Cloning performance
From: "Fields, David" <David.Fields AT ACS-INC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 10:18:19 -0400
The only way I know to clone more than one save set it to use a script to
split your cloning process so that it uses multiple tape drives (requires at
least 4 tape drives btw).  You have to be careful how you write the script
though.  For example, if you have the following source saveset group that
you want to clone:

Saveset "group" A
  Saveset 1 on tape 1
  Saveset 2 on tape 2
  Saveset 3 on tape 2
  Saveset 4 on tape 3

Saveset "group" B
  Saveset 7 on tape 1
  Saveset 8 on tape 4
  Saveset 9 on tape 3

Then you can see that you could get into a situation that while the script
which clones group "A" is running, the script that is cloning group "B"
might have to wait because it wants to clone a saveset on a tape that is
currently being used by the first script.

To solve this, you have to know what tapes each saveset you want to clone
sits on, and because a saveset can be split across multiple tapes, you have
to be extremely careful in how you write your script.

David