Networker

[Networker] SUMMARY: Novell 5.00 problem

2004-10-28 21:22:29
Subject: [Networker] SUMMARY: Novell 5.00 problem
From: Craig Ruefenacht <craig.ruefenacht AT US.USANA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 19:21:30 -0600
Thanks for the advice Allan - I had already done a clean install, et al,
and it didn't fix the problem.

According to the documentation, the Netware clientpak v4.22 is for
Netware v5.1 and above only.  v4.21 is for Netware 4.x, 5.1, and 6.x
(conveniently missing v5.00).  So we use v4.15 for our Netware 5.00
servers.

It turns out that it was a rights issue.  After doing some exhaustive
searching, I found some posts on www.mail-archive.com where some sites
using another backup product had seen the same error, specifically the
"cannot create a directory handle" error.  It was suggested that the
problem was that the Netware user that the backup software was using to
backup the Netware volumes didn't have rights to the volume.

Sure enough, when I suggested our problem was with rights, a light went
on in our Netware admin's head, and it was indeed a rights problem.
Apparently, several months ago they had created a group and put the
individuals in the group who needed admin rights, and then assigned that
group admin rights to the volume (and removed the individual users from
each volume).  And, the .admin. Netware user was one they forgot to add
to the group.

Once they added .admin. to the Netware group that had admin rights to
the volumes, Networker started working great.