Networker

Re: [Networker] Advanced file type questions

2004-09-20 04:47:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] Advanced file type questions
From: "T. S. Kimball" <tkimball AT BRASS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 04:48:02 -0400
Just to expand a bit on Darren's response, there are several issues
that led us to use Veritas (a lot of these will apply in general
anyway):

- Yes, there is 1 TB max on Solaris 8 fileystem.  We briefly
entertained Solaris 9's larger filesystems but it's a recent backport
from Solaris 10, which is not even out yet.  We're not going to use a
feature from a beta OS on a production machine, esecially our NW
server.

- Number of filesystems that can be mounted on one system (32 I
think).

- We only had 22 open 'device' slots available after tape drive use,
so only 11 adv_file mounts max.

- We needed to map 81 TB from the BladeStore (yes you heard that one
right...).  STK's RDAC failover would only map 32 LUNS per host to
Solaris, Veritas DMP will map 256 per host.

--TSK

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004, Darren Dunham wrote:

> > Do we have to have veritas Foundation suite to backup to disk on
> > Solaris 8, can we not use the native filesystem on the Solaris 8
> > OS?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Sure.  But you can't have multi-terabyte UFS filesystems in Solaris
> 8
>

> --
> Darren Dunham                                           ddunham AT taos DOT
> com
> Senior Technical Consultant         TAOS            http://www.taos.com/
> Got some Dr Pepper?                           San Francisco, CA bay area
>          < This line left intentionally blank to confuse you. >

STATEMENT OF CONFIDENTIALITY

and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not
the intended recipient, please notify SunGard Trading Systems immediately
at (201) 499-5900 and destroy all copies of this message and any
attachments.