Networker

[Networker] Transferring indexes between client definitions

2004-09-15 11:44:48
Subject: [Networker] Transferring indexes between client definitions
From: Shawn Cox <shawn.cox AT PCCA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 10:45:23 -0500
I'm in the process of renaming most of my servers due to a dns naming
convention change.

Say I have a client named xxx01.domain.com and have a years worth of indexes
for it.  The box will be rebuilt on new hardware and in the process named
yyy01.domain.com.  In the past I have just added yyy01.domain.com to the
alias list of the original client definition and the backups go one without
any trouble once the DNS is updated.  But this is a bit messy and causes
confusion when doing restores as the client names no longer match.

So, is there a way to create a new client definition with the new dns name
and transfer the indexes from the old?  There is a client ID field in the
client definition, but it's read only and I can't seem to do much more than
stare at it.

Thanks,
--Shawn