Networker

[Networker] Any differences between 'recover' and 'nwrecover'?

2004-09-15 11:35:58
Subject: [Networker] Any differences between 'recover' and 'nwrecover'?
From: Manel Rodero <manel AT FIB.UPC DOT ES>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 17:36:29 +0200
Hello,

We've found a working difference between 'recover' and 'nwrecover' commands.
We've found this difference while trying to solve a recovering problem (the
problem is related with the message "Error receiving files from NSR
server").

I'll explain a little the complete history to see if someone of you have any
clues about what's happening. The investigation started when trying to
recover a file from a 7.1.2 server (Windows) from a 6.1.1 client (Solaris).
We used the 'recover' command and we got the error message explained above.

After searching the list and different documents from Legato we found that
this message was related to the saveset stream format in version 6.x related
to the format in 5.x. We found this in the release supplement for version
6.1. We found a message in the list related to a similar problem between
5.1.1 and 6.1.

As we supposed that the problem could be similar between the 6.1.1 client
and the 7.1.2 server, we've upgraded the client to 7.1.2 version but the
'recover' problem stopped with the same error. We were very surprised.

We tested the 'recover' in another machine (same OS, Solaris, and same
client version 6.1.1) and now it worked! Now we know that the problem is
related to only one machine not to all our Solaris 6.1.1 clients! Uff ...

But the final surprise is that the problematic client CAN RECOVER WITHOUT
PROBLEMS the file using the 'nwrecover' GUI interface. We can recover the
file both with version 6.1.1 and 7.1.2 in the client (we've done several
pkgadd/pkgrm to test it).

So the question is: DO YOU KNOW ANY DIFFERENCES between the 'recover'
command (command-line) and the 'nwrecover' command (GUI interface) related
to the recovering process? Streams, connections, etc. Sure the difference is
there and probably the real problem is related to the operating system or
similar but we don't have any clues about what to look for.

Any help would appreciated.

Thank you very much!

 o o o  Manel Rodero                   | LCFIB - UPC
 o o o  Systems Manager & HelpDesk     | Campus Nord - Modul B6
 o o o  Laboratori de Calcul           | Jordi Girona, 1-3
 U P C  Facultat Informatica Barcelona | 08034 Barcelona (Spain)

 Mail : manel AT fib.upc DOT es               | Tel: +00 34 93 401 6940
 Web  : http://www.fib.upc.es/~manel   | Fax: +00 34 93 401 7040