Networker

Re: [Networker] OT: LTO2 libraries, server migration

2004-09-14 15:48:39
Subject: Re: [Networker] OT: LTO2 libraries, server migration
From: Librado Pamintuan <LPamintuan AT REGINA DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 13:48:44 -0600
We just recently upgraded out tape library from STK 9714 with 6 DLT 7000
tape drives to an ADIC Scalar 100 with 2 LTO Gen-2 drives.
According to the brochure and 'product highlights', the LTO Gen-2 is
capable of 35 Mb/sec. throughput, but they should have mentioned
'depending on your equipment'. Now that our LTO tape library is in
production, the highest throughput we achieved so far is 16 Mb/sec. and
that is a local backup.

In order to achieve this 'blazing' throughput you need to have a pure
Gigabit connection or not even, a Fibre optic would do.
Even if your Network is Fibre optic, how about your clients, are they
powerful enough to push data during backups? Yes, the servers have the
most powerful CPU's and RAMs, how about your disk drives speed?

It all boils down to 'Performance Tuning'.

Regarding the tape libraries, we reviewed a lot of tape libraries and
for a competitive price, ADIC Scalar 100 with 36 slots, 2 LTO Gen-2 tape
drives give us enough slots and upgradability without adding equipment
outside the box.

regards,

Librado Pamintuan
Technical Support Analyst II
Information Systems Dep.
Operations Group
City of Regina

Phone:          (306) 777-7573
General Fax: (306) 777-6804
eFax:             (306) 546-6002
eMail:            lpamintuan AT regina DOT ca

>>> mussulma AT CS.UIUC DOT EDU 09/14/04 10:28am >>>
Sorry if this is a little off topic, but I'm interested in the
experience and feedback from this list.  We're finally getting ready
upgrade our backups hardware from DLT to LTO, and potentially upgrade
the server as well.

I figure we can upgrade our 60 slot, 4 DLT drive library to a 20-30
slot, 2 drive library, so I'm looking at the smaller LTO2 libraries.
So
far I'm looking at the Overland Neo 2000, the ADIC Scalar 24, the
Qualstar RLS series.  Are there any other products I should be looking
at, or comments/endorsements/warnings on these?

I hate to buy LTO2 when LTO3 is getting so close in the roadmap, but
we
need to age out a failing DLT library.  Does anyone know any data on
when LTO3 products will hit the market?

The other major upgrade would be the backup server hardware.  We're
currently running off an Sun E450 (shared with other services.)  The
rest of our services are migrating over to Linux.  My question, for
those who have Linux Networker servers, what kind of hardware supports
the processor/IO strain of a backup server?  Are you satisfied with
it,
or should I stay with Sun?

Thanks,
Dave

--
Note: To sign off this list, send a "signoff networker" command via
email

DISCLAIMER: The information transmitted is intended only
for the addressee and may contain confidential,
proprietary and/or privileged material. Any
unauthorized review, distribution or other use
of or the taking of any action in reliance upon
this information is prohibited. If you received
this in error, please contact the sender and
delete or destroy this message and any copies.