Networker

Re: [Networker] Backing up to a remote storage node.

2004-09-14 04:26:52
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backing up to a remote storage node.
From: Simon McCartney <simon AT ASIDUA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 09:25:55 +0100
> Hi
>
> Instead of doing an additional backup to your offsite area, you might
> consider cloning some/all of your existing backups.  That way, you
> client disks are touched only once, your client file index is updated
> only once, but you have two identical copies of those backups that you
> clone
> (replicate) to the offsite location.  You can replicate over the LAN
> between any two NetWorker storage nodes.

Hmm, yeah. When can you start cloning?  after the first tape or saveset?
Weekends are usually pretty dead for us, so hitting machines twice wasn't
really a concern, getting the stuff over the wire over the weekend was
(i.e. we run a Full on saturday night and incrementals after that)Out to tape
usually takes around 24hours at the moment.

Would another option be to change the schedule for the Offsite group, so
day Full & 1,2,3,4,5,6, where as the Default is a Full & i,i,i,i,i,i?
Thanks,

Simon.

--
Simon McCartney