Networker

[Networker] Support for multiple indexes for same client?

2004-09-09 11:54:35
Subject: [Networker] Support for multiple indexes for same client?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 11:57:17 -0400
Hi,

Does NetWorker now support having more than one index for a given
client? We're running an older release (6.1.1), and I don't think
there's an easy way to do this with that release. Not sure if we really
need to do this, so I'll explain.

Essentially, we have a host wherein there's some very critical data that
changes a few times per week max (sometimes only once a week) but never
by very much (always random, though), so I set up a client instance 1
with a special pool and a schedule to run incrementals every night,
descending level backups once per month and a level full maybe once
every 6 months against this data. As a result, I set the browse policy
for client instance 1 to be 6 months because I guess I need to have this
if I want to spread out the incrementals for this data over 6 months,
right? I've based this schedule on the size of the incrementals I've
seen thus far for this data and the fact that the full on all the
associated savesets is over 200 GB, so I'd like to avoid having to run a
full too often. We do clone all the savesets with automatic cloning for
this pool. We may revamp the schedule depending on how things change, so
we're monitoring the incrementals for now, but otherwise will remain
with the 6 month deal.

We have several other client instances for this same host. These back up
other savesets outside the purview of the "special data" mentioned above
and actually comprise the majority of the data on this client. I have
the browse policy on these instances set to 'Quarter' (3 months). My
thinking was that a 6month browse policy for instance 1 would be
independent of the other instances since they use a separate browse
policy, so the other ones could not take advantage of the 6month browse
policy used by the first client instance and start eating into that.

So, I guess I'm asking if being able to have more than one index for
this host would benefit us or be a preferred method over the way we're
doing it now? My goal is to keep the index as small as possible but
still allow 6month on the first instance and 3month on the others. Since
I don't know a way to do this using more than one index, of if our
release of NetWorker will even support it, I've been forced to lump
everything under one roof (one index), which might be increasing the
size of the index? I would think our separate browse policies would
control or segregate this and prevent the others from eating into that
6month portion used by the first instance but not certain? Just don't
know if there might be a better way to control the size of the host
index other than reducing the browse policy so I was thinking about
multiple indexes.

Thanks.

George