Networker

Re: [Networker] Looking for specific config out there....

2004-08-24 23:34:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] Looking for specific config out there....
From: Gordon Ewasiuk <gewasiuk AT IRIDES DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 23:35:32 -0400
On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, Paul Crossman wrote:

> I've gotten CRC read and write errors on five tapes in a row on the same
> drive during a clone job.  Sometimes the drive disables itself, other
> times it sits at the "read open error" message.  Sometimes there are
> alerts posted to the windows system log, sometimes there are not.  This
> really only seems to come up during cloning.  It never seems to happen
> when normal backups are running.

Have you tried the same five tapes on the other drive?  Are the errors at
consistant spots in the tape?  Are the tapes new or used?  Do you get any
errors during regular backup operations?  You said "it never seems to
happen" but have you grepped the logs to be sure?

I haven't had the need to clone anything in Legato yet...but i wouldn't
think the cloning operation would be a problem...it just reads one tape
while writing to another, right?

Oh, check the max error count for the drive too...is it incrementing?
That might explain why the drive is being disabled.

BTW, nice tape library.  Mine is a Dell version of the scalar 24. :)

[snip logs]

--

Regards,

-gordon

Gordon Ewasiuk, Systems Engineer - Mids         2000-0400hrs EST
Rosslyn Data Center
Irides, LLC.
O: 703.236.7923         F: 703-236-7901          C: 703-297-1929