Networker

Re: [Networker] I'd like some input from the list on this....

2004-08-17 17:17:51
Subject: Re: [Networker] I'd like some input from the list on this....
From: Paul Crossman <pcrossma AT ORANGE DOT US>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 17:17:58 -0400
I would say I need to backup "most" of the PC.  The small group is
mainly developers connected back to HQ via a VPN over the internet.  I
really can't box them into a data location due to the nature of their
work.

I think if their PC died I would go with a fresh install and try to
recover data, however the personnel in question may have other ideas.
These people are used to working within a 7x24 shop model and now since
they chose to be remote, that model along with a "don't spend lots of
money out there" mandate kind of exists.

It's quite a touchy and political mess that really should come to an end
IMHO for various business reasons, but that's beside the point and off
topic.

While rsync is a good idea, the slow restore time would be painful and
cause the developers to call for my head.

I'd like to put something in place where it would be either something
they can do themselves, at a minimal cost and amount of work for me.

I thought about maybe just making ghost floppies for each of them and
putting a large disk out there, or adding a second disk to their systems
and running them with software raid 1 within windows XP.

Thoughts?

Paul C.