Networker

[Networker] Adv_File + Staging + RMAN

2004-08-17 13:03:56
Subject: [Networker] Adv_File + Staging + RMAN
From: Randy Doering <rdoering AT COMCAST DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 13:04:00 -0400
Greetings,

       Our environment: Server - Tru64 Unix 5.1B (PK2) NW 7.1-1.
                        Client - Linux AS 3.0, Oracle 9i RAC Linux Client
7.1-1.

       I'm in the midst of implementing Adv_File Devices and Staging.

       I think Networker has it all figured out if I'm doing file system
backups using the Linux Client S/W because I tell Legato which Pool to use
with the Group/Pool relationship.

       However, when the Oracle backups are kicked off by RMAN, our DBA
needs to specify which Pool to go to. So if the following scenario happens,
would we be able to recover?

       Full Backups are done on Sunday at 05:00, Incr (Wednesday) and
another Incr on Friday.

       So, on Sunday the full was done to the "orapool2". On Tuesday, I had
him point the backups to "DiskPool2", that sends the Incr to the DiskPool2
Adv_File device on Wednesday and Friday. On Friday afternoon we have a DB
Crash and need to do a Full Recovery.

       I think the answer to this question is to put the Full + All
Incrementals out to the DiskPool2 device. When it comes time to Stage, I'll
Stage from DiskPool2 to orapool2 (tape) and Legato will know to go to tape
for the data in the case of recovery. Is this correct?

       However, another question from the DBA is: What If I want to recover
to a Point In Time of say 2 weeks ago (when we were sending things directly
to tape)?

       Thanks for any advice - I use this Listmailer frequently and
appreciate the feedback.

Randy