Networker

Re: [Networker] nwrecover problem

2004-08-06 05:13:23
Subject: Re: [Networker] nwrecover problem
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 10:12:01 +0100
Ralf Schmidt wrote:
Hi,
what I have:
networker server Red Hat Linux AS 2.1, NetWorker 7.1.2, Overland Neo 4x00
Tapelibrary, some W2K server to backup
when trying to recover some files from a W2k Client (GUI based recovery
from the networker server) the recover fails with the message:

Recovering 1 file into its original location

Volumes needed (all on-line):
000050L2 at overland_neo
Requesting 1 file(s), this may take a while...
nwrecover: RPC error: unable to send
nwrecover: Permission denied by server s1backup: Cross platform recovery
not supported
Recover operation failed

Any ideas?

I found a lot of RPC postings, but the given hints have not fixed the
problem
Cannot imagine what a simple recovery of 1 file into its original location
on the same client the backup is from may have to do with cross platform
recovery????

When I do a commandline recovery (#recover -s s1backup -c ...) from the
client a tape is requested but this request never gets to an end (pending) -
nothing happens...

It looks like cross platform recovery to me. You are trying to recover
data from a W2K client to your Linux NetWorker server.

With the CLI recover program you will need to add a -d parameter in
order to write the data back to the client rather than the server. With
nwrecover you probably can't do it, since I think that even at 7.1.2
there is no directed recovery option in the Unix GUI. If it was the
other way round (W2K server and Linux client) it would be possible.