Networker

Re: [Networker] SUMMARY: AIT-3 hardware compression on HP-UX 11i

2004-08-05 20:03:06
Subject: Re: [Networker] SUMMARY: AIT-3 hardware compression on HP-UX 11i
From: Craig Ruefenacht <craig.ruefenacht AT US.USANA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 18:02:38 -0600
Hi,

Our setup is such that its rare that all four tape drives are going at
once.  Usually its just 2 drives that are active at any given moment.
Most of our network is Gbit fiber, so in theory we should be able to
deliver enough data to keep two drives fed properly.

The issue that caused me to look at hardware compression is that we
recently consolidated several volumes into one.  The new volume
currently contains about 160 Gbyte and will only get bigger.  The volume
is mounted on our backup server and is physically located on a EMC
Symmetrix via fiber channel, so there is no network between the volume
to be backed up and the Networker server.

Our backup server is a HP K570 with 6 CPUs.  With software compression
it was taking about 6.5 hours to backup the 160 Gbyte.  With hardware
compression enabled last night, it took 3.5 hours.  Thats about a 45%
increase in backup speed.

We do have other clients that are backed up.  Most of them are on Gbit
network, and are still configured to use software compression.  With
software compression enabled, and using the hardware-compression-enabled
devices last night, I saw about a 10% increase in overall backup time
versus what I usually see, which is acceptable.

And yes, I do know that writing software-compressed data to a
hardware-compression drive isn't going to provide any meaningful
improvement in compression versus using only one or the other
compression methods, but