Networker

[Networker] How does NetWorker schedule cleaning?

2004-07-29 17:53:30
Subject: [Networker] How does NetWorker schedule cleaning?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:55:44 -0400
I checked the help page (nwadmin GUI) for 'auto clean' jukebox field,
and it says:

" Auto Clean - Click Yes or No to select whether devices in the
jukebox are automatically cleaned at their scheduled cleaning
time. If you select No, at the next scheduled cleaning time, the
device is not automatically cleaned. A "Device cleaning required"
notification is sent, stating that the device needs to be
cleaned. You can select Yes only for jukeboxes that contain tape
devices."

What the heck does "their scheduled cleaning time." mean exactly? What
schedule? Depending on the type of drive, firmware, etc. the drive
decides it wants to be cleaned and sends a signal/request to the library
and then the library tells NetWorker, correct? Or does NetWorker instead
simply ask the library periodically? Maybe it asks the drives or the
drives ask NetWorker? Something else? I'm just trying to figure out who
asks who and in what order. I sure as heck know there's no such thing as
a cleaning schedule for NetWorker. I've never seen one. If NetWorker
checks first before loading a tape, what happens if NetWorker isn't
using the drive for a while? Guess there's no problem having a dirty
drive if nothing is using it?

George