Networker

Re: [Networker] Cannot write to tape drive -- read only file system?

2004-07-28 17:29:16
Subject: Re: [Networker] Cannot write to tape drive -- read only file system?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 17:31:25 -0400
Here's the result of the mt status command:

# mt -f /dev/nst0 status
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=-1, block number=-1, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x0 (default).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (4050000):
 WR_PROT DR_OPEN IM_REP_EN

# mt -f /dev/nst1 status
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=-1, block number=-1, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x0 (default).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (50000):
 DR_OPEN IM_REP_EN

I also checked the status of the other devices. All match with the
exception of nst0. The status clearly indicates this is write-protected.
How and the heck it became that why I don't know. Not sure if we could
try
to reset it and/or how to do that or just assume the drive is bad?

George