Networker

Re: [Networker] tapes do not expire

2004-07-27 11:00:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] tapes do not expire
From: Anuj Mediratta <anuj AT ACE-DATA DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 15:00:48 -0000
Hi Marbo,

This is very simple yet very confusing. Please note the following -

1. The tape gets the expiration date as per the retention policy of the
save set backed up on it.
2. The expiry date depends on the incremental backups i.e. if Sunday is
full & week days incremental with a retention policy of 1 day, all save
sets will expire simulatenously on subsequent monday. This is when all
incremental save sets depended on the full backup cross the retention
policy.
3. If it is daily full with 1 day retention period, Sunday's save set
expires on Tuesday.
4. Saveset expiry is automated if you have a scheduled backup running.
nsrim does it once every 24 hours else you can run nsrim -X to force this
to happen.

The confusing part still is that despite the above parameters fitting in
properly, the tapes get long expiration date. This is because after every
backup, the server writes index & bootstrap on the tape. The expiration of
index & bootstrap save set depends on the retention period of the backup
server. It takes the longest retention period of the backup server if you
have multiple clients on the backup server. Therefore, to ensure smooth
expiration of tapes, please take care of the retention policy of the backup
server & minimize it whatever possible. Do let me know if minimizing
retention policy of backup server is an issue as we have a workaround for
that also.

Regards,
Anuj

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 10:08:37 +0200, Mariusz Bogumil <marbo AT TPI DOT PL> wrote
:

> W li¶cie z wto, 27-07-2004, godz. 09:51, Davina Treiber pisze:
> > Mariusz Bogumil wrote:
> > > Solaris, Letago 6.1.4
> > > Auto media management = Yes
> > > Volume -> Recycle = Auto
> > >
> > > Problem::
> > > After expiration time tapes do not expire?
> > >
> > > Does anybody heard anything about such situation? Where to look for
> > > solution?
> >
> > When all save sets are marked as recyclable, the next time nsrim runs
> > the volume will also be marked as recyclable.
> >
> > Each save set becomes recyclable when both of two cases have been
satisfied:
> > (1) They have passed their expiry date, and
> > (2) There are no other save sets that depend on this save set.
> >
> > It is usually (2) that catches people out.
> >
> Could ypu give me some scenario for #2. When and how is it possible. I am
unable to imagine such situation.
> If I undestand you say that for all save sets passed their expiration
date (so I do not need them) and something still need them.