Networker

[Networker] Recovering just one piece of a saveset?

2004-07-19 11:25:48
Subject: [Networker] Recovering just one piece of a saveset?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 11:27:46 -0400
If a full saveset spans multiple volumes, is there any way to recover
just the piece located on a specific volume?

We have a full saveset spread across 3 volumes. Saveset recover reported
the required volumes as:
FUL716
FUL718
FUL720

I kicked off the recovery, went home, and when I came in next day, I
looked at the messages file. It pulled everything off FUL716, but about
2.5 hours after loading FUL718, the messages file reported:

NetWorker media: (info) can not read record 6328 of file 135 on sdlt
tape FUL718.

It then loaded FUL720, cranked on that for a long time and finished. Of
course, I'm missing some data, most likely from FUL718, and the
recovered directory is still listed with permissions: drwx------ root
root, so it's incomplete. It would be nice to be able to go back and
re-try that one tape, but I don't know how since all the pieces have
same SSID, probably can't do this? I do have a full from further back
that I could try, but would need to also capture all incrementals after
that up to the start of the next full -- the one listed above. That's a
lot of work but might be the only way?

This got me thinking about what would happen if none of the tapes had
problems, but maybe one of the drives did. It would be nice if NetWorker
would allow you to re-start the recovery of the huge saveset from where
you left off or just re-do the recovery of the piece of the saveset
located on the tape that was in the drive when the problem occurred
without having to start all over again from scratch.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

George