Networker

[Networker] DSN , Tape Library doubts

2004-07-04 03:23:08
Subject: [Networker] DSN , Tape Library doubts
From: Rahul Parasnis <rahulparasnis AT MSN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 11:17:24 +0900
Hello Gurus,

We are in a process of building a new environment for networker in new
premises .

Data backup size is estimated to grow to 2 Tera bytes( Currently around 800
GB/day ) per day in 3 years considering the backup window 8 hours from 10
:30 PM .  Please consider we need faster recovery as well.
I know I have to tell you lot of other things  ( Assume 5 Windows Cluster (
together 600 GB in size ) on HP UX Cluster with 175 GB ) and there are 40
other Unix clients ( 1.3 GB Each )small Ultra 5/ V120 Machines .
( Server configuration for all above clients I am going for is V240 2CPU
with 2 GB Memory )

I have few questions and need your advise  in selecting Tape library /
networker configuration
I have tried to give as mush as information as possible .
1.
we are assuming to have GB backup network for big clients . We have Notes
server having 200 GB finishes in 6-7 hours .  But  file server of 300 GB
backup takes 12~14 hours because of number of files are more than 20,000 .

So far I have come to conclusion that file server backup is slower because
of no of files are large  . But I also have doubt that it is the CPU of
client which is the bottle neck .
Are there any tuning that we can do to make the backup of file server with
20000 files faster on GB network.
Will the backup will be faster if you convert the client to direct Storage
Node  ?
have Fibre channel card and connected to SAN switch and Tape library on the
other side of it.

What is the thumb rule  in selecting DSN over normail client .
Does data size have to be over some value to go for DSN ?
Ihave to consider that I  need to invest DSN license as well as Dynamic
Drive Sharing License .

Is it too much to consider 12 machines with 1 Terabytes data backing up over
GB network with V240 , 2X1GHz CPU 2GB Memory  Server having 8 LTO -2 drives
with SCSI L180 model ?

2. Tape Library selection .  ( Fibire Channel vs SCSI )
We are thinking of buying Storage Tek L180 with 8 LTO-2 drives .
In storage tek we can get two types of models one with Fibre Channel and one
with SCSI .
We will have to take Fibre to SCSI convertor if we go for SCSI model.

For SCSI model there will be 4 SCSI channels with two LTO-2 drives connected
to each Channel .

Please correct me if my calculation is wrong .

Ultra160 SCSI speed is 160 mb/s  , LTO-2 drive speed is 30 MB /s , we have
two per channel means 60 mb/s , still well below the limit .  ( I can not
find what SCSI is used in SCSI model of L180 , I need to speak to Storage
Tek about it . if wide Ultra 2 SCSI 80 mb /s  two drives is justified but
still going for Fibre channel is not justified unless length is issue .)
In this case I wonder what is the benefit in having Fibre channel interface
per drive . When bottle neck is "drive writing speed" which is 30 mb /s .

Same question for the Server , Unless length of the cable isssue , SCSI is
not a bottle neck when you are using two LTO drives per SCSI channel .

Sorry for asking too many questions in one Email , I don't have any other
resources to get answers for these questions

best regards,
Rahul Parasnis