Networker

[Networker] Veritas vs Networker

2004-06-18 21:18:12
Subject: [Networker] Veritas vs Networker
From: Rahul Parasnis <rahulparasnis AT MSN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 10:04:43 +0900
Hello Veritas Gurus ,

First of all I apologize because I am sure this quiestion has been asked
before . I am sure there are some on this list who have used Legato and
veritas  before .

We are in a process of choosing  backup  software , Veritas netbackup /
Networker .
( We are using Backup Exec and Legato , we were two companies we had a
merger and now we want to select one central backup platform .)
I am using legato for that matter and I am very happy about it . But I would
like to hear from this particular mailing list about this comparison .

Certainly options for are Netbackup or Legato ( not backup exec because we
have unix ( HP/ Sun ) boxes )

As far Cost is concerned , Veritas is willing sacrifice backup exec license
cost and will charge us discounted price for license we have for Legato . We
can do a Math  there to compare what legato has to offer .

I have read messages from  Len Boyle  Len.Boyle AT sas DOT com Fri, 24 Jan 2003
Deb  deb AT tickleme.llnl DOT gov Fri, 24 Jan 2003 12:48:02 -0800

After reading on mailing list archive on veritas , the mention thread
certainly gives nice points to some extent they are still true .

But I would like to hear from you again about this comparison since a year
and half has passed , new versions of both softwares have had changes . EMC
has taken over Legato .

I do not want to fire up this list again .

It appears to me that Veritas has more share in the market than networker .
I would like to the comparison based on following points .

1. Speed of backup ,
Netowrker 10 TB / Hour , Veritas 2 TB per hour .
2. faster recovery .
Same Legato is clear winner .
3. Ease in administration .  ( Ability to restore from one client to another
from single screen )

Veritas looks to be much more user friendly , I have never used it but from
my experience from Legato , networker is not easy to recover ( You need to
goto client to do recover , you want to restore Client A data on client B
from one adminitration screen , I don't know if it is possible in Legato  or
Veritas but looks to be possible in backup exec atleast .
4. Tracking versions .  ( Legato had issues on this )
reveoring files with day -1 and day -2 . , this kind of operation  interface
comparison .
also the client software version upgrade ease , Veritas can push client
software but for legato you need to do it manually .
5. backward version compatibility . ( Veritas had issues on this ) .
6. Modules limitations like ( With Exchange5.5  module for legato was not
able to retrieve single Email ) or Module features ( I am interested in
Notes , SQL 2000 , Sybase on HP , modules )
We had issue with exchange 5.5 hence we went on to arcserver for only that
reason .
7. DRC solution  ( Networker has dependancy on Index server so as Catalogue
server correct me if I am wrong ) ( Cold standby networker solution is
available only on windows . )

To restore client data you need networker server / catalogue server live ( I
am not sure about netbackup ) . Where as in backup exec catalogue is stored
on client as well then you don't have dependancy on server if you have
direct access to tape storage from client .

8. SAN / NAS support . ( Which software works well with netapps or EMC
provided solutions )
I think Legato has or will have advantage over veritas on this .

9. Technical Support
10 Cost comparison  . ( TCO )
11. Most well adopted platform for running master server / Networker Server
. and Reasons for it .
Both sales said unix version is more stable , but now a days win2003 server
is becoming more stable .
I know lot of people say Networker and veritas works well on Unix . but the
cost of license on unix is also high .

12. Tape cloning vs Vault
I read some slow performance issues with vault but cloning is also not very
fast . Please correct me I am wrong .

Any other advantages , products like Email Extender .
Suggestions / comments / tips / jokes :)

best regards,
- Rahul Parasnis