Networker

[Networker] Cross Platform Server Upgrade

2004-06-09 09:50:12
Subject: [Networker] Cross Platform Server Upgrade
From: Riaan Louwrens <riaanl AT SOURCECONSULTING.CO DOT ZA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 15:54:12 +0200
People,

We have a client that is intending to move their current solaris backup
environment to a Win2K3 server. (yes I know, I shudder at the thought ....)

They intend keeping the old backup server on as a storage node.

Has anybody out there done - that is successfully done - a cross platform
(OS), onto new hardware, with a different server name and a different Legato
version (6.1 - 7.1.1) ... Perhaps ?

I am the lucky sod that will have to implement it and I thought it would be
wise to "test the water" a bit first ...

Question:
Can you do a mmrecov on a "Windows" 7.1.1 backup server of your Solaris 6.1
server ?
How will the CFI's be affected if the "new" backup server name is different
from the word go ?

I have done quite a few of these cross-hardware and version upgrades - but
they have all been on the same version of OS so needless to say any input
would be appreciated.

Regards,

Riaan

---