Networker

Re: [Networker] Deleted a volume

2004-06-08 11:55:19
Subject: Re: [Networker] Deleted a volume
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 08:55:04 -0700

> I deleted a volume by accident and need to add it back in. I did not
> re-label the tape.
>
> I deleted using the nsrmm -y -d Tape#
>
> Is there another or quicker way than scanning the tape.

Note that there are potentially two different pieces of information that
are deleted here.  One is the file (browse) index, and the other is the
media (or retention) index.

*If* you had done a bootstrap then, nothing other than delete the volume
from the database, you could recover the copy of the media database from
the last bootstrap.  It would be fast, but I'd probably still just scan
the tape as being safer.  I know I won't destroy my media database
accidentally by scanning.

You can either scan the tape for media and indexes (-mi), or you can
recover the database/scan media and then recover the file index with
nsrck -L7.