Networker

[Networker] Quantum SDLT Microcode backwards compatibility issues

2004-05-26 19:12:46
Subject: [Networker] Quantum SDLT Microcode backwards compatibility issues
From: Jeff Wade <jefwad AT SAFECO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 19:12:38 -0400
We have the problem where STK and the Quantum SDLT 220/320 drives have a
backwards compatibility issue with their microcode.
We have found and STK finally admitted that when we upgrade to newer
firmware levels, any tape that was *originally labeled for the first time
with an older microcode* then the present code level, will experience
difficulties when re-used within the library.  We have mixed results with
degaussing.  New tapes work like a champ!  We run an all windows shop with
STK L40's across the country using Legato Networker v7.0.  Had the same
problem with 6.1.3.  We are currently at v70 SDLT code.  Any idea's?

Jeff