Networker

Re: [Networker] Does Networker server backup /nsr/index?

2004-05-21 13:31:30
Subject: Re: [Networker] Does Networker server backup /nsr/index?
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 10:31:19 -0700

> Good point, forgot that that the save command might have a little
> trouble with the server shut down (he he he). Okay, but if you did use
> something like tar, with the NetWorker software shut down, is it a moot
> point that the database is no longer open? I mean, a tar ball file of
> /nsr/index would still be useless? Just trying to understand the nature
> of the database a little better.

Like any other database I'm familiar with, you can back it up via the
files if the database is shut down.

Since the database has to start from those files, you can save and
recover them (tar, whatever) and it should start.

The reason you cannot while the database is running is that (usually)
the database has cached some of the information in RAM so that the files
do not reflect the current state, and also that the files may well
change over the interval that the backup takes to complete so that the
different portions of the files are inconsistent.

Neither of these issues arise when the datbase is stopped and you copy
the files.