Networker

Re: [Networker] Mystery on NetWare backup. (specified savesets)

2004-05-20 06:38:17
Subject: Re: [Networker] Mystery on NetWare backup. (specified savesets)
From: Steve Hindmarsh <sth AT CEH.AC DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 11:37:09 +0100
Is the group still running but waiting for those savesets? We have a
similar environment but with Networker 7.1 and have recently seen a
problem when backing up whole volumes as described in a previous posting
(27th April):

>>>Hi,

Since upgrading to version 7.1 we have had a recurring problem with
NetWare backups. Usually all is fine but a few times a week at random
the nightly backup group will still be running in the morning waiting
for one or more NetWare savesets. Typically these savesets have in
fact
completed (confirmed in /nsr/logs/daemon.log, browsable in volume
list)
but not always. There are NO errors, timeouts, retries etc in the
logs.
It appears that the server doesn't get the message that the savesets
have completed and sits there waiting... Stopping and restarting the
group will normally work fine with the remaining savesets completing
normally.

This normally happens on our main NetWare server but has been seen on
others as well. Has anyone else experienced this or have a fix?

NetWorker server 7.1 running on Solaris 8, recent patch cluster
Legato NetWare client 4.21, running on NetWare 5.1 SP6

Thanks,
Steve<<<

After some time our Legato 3rd party support company has just
recommended reducing the client parallelism to 2 for NetWare clients -
not an elegant solution and defeating the whole point of you splitting
the volumes! I won't know for a week or so whether it has really fixed
it though.

Hope this helps,
Steve

>>> Shawn.Larson AT FSI-INTL DOT COM 19/05/2004 22:11:16 >>>
My environment.

Networker server:
Solaris 7
Networker 6.1.1

Client:
Netware 6.5
Networker 4.21

I can get a regular backup by specifying the volume in the client
resource
and running the appropriate savegrp.

The size of some of the volumes forcres me to split them up into
multiple
savesets for performance reasons.
I have been using this method on our Netware 5.1 clients without
issue.

I have mimicked the client config with this NetWare 6.5 client and a
strange thing happened with the backup.
I ended up getting a backup of one of the savesets 6 times
consecutively.
None of the other specified savesets backed up.

Has anyone seen such a strange behavior ???  If so, how is it solved.

-
Thanks for reading;
Shawn Larson -- 952 448-8090
FSI International
Chaska, Mn USA

--
Note: To sign off this list, send a "signoff networker" command via
email