Networker

Re: [Networker] Client id versus resource identifier?

2004-05-18 17:09:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] Client id versus resource identifier?
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 14:09:00 -0700

> Hi,
>
> After reading several posts and followups, I'm still confused about this
> business of the client ID versus the resource identifier and what, if
> anything, I should do with these values if re-creating or renaming a
> client:

I haven't tested any of this, but here's my assumptions.

> 1. Let's say I accidentally delete a client. Since the old index is
> still on the server what happens to it if I re-create the client?

If you create a client with the same name, it will use the same index
files.  However restores may fail because the client-id may not match.

> Will
> NetWorker continue using the old index directory/files? Should I rename
> the old index before re-creating the client and then move the old index
> back into place?

I don't think that would be necessary (assuming you want to use the data
to restore).

> 2. If I can determine the old resource identifier for the client, before
> the deletion, what, if anything, would I do with that number/value?

No.  However, you could find the old 'client-id' from the media database
with 'mminfo' and use that for the newly created client.

> For
> example, after re-creating the client, would I want to edit the nsr.res
> file and change the new value for the client back to the old value?

You should just be able to specify it at creation time.

> 3. Do I want to change the client id for the new client back to the old
> value? If so, how do you do that or what command would you run to
> perform this change? Is there ever a time when you would want to do
> this?

It seems like you would do that to have Networker associate the current
client with that name and the data on the tape.  I would try to do it
with nsradmin.

http://www.legato.com/resources/bulletins/138.html