Networker

Re: [Networker] Tape positioning by record is disabled.

2004-05-17 16:34:22
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tape positioning by record is disabled.
From: Chad Smykay <csmykay AT RACKSPACE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 15:34:07 -0500
Actually you can leave it to 0 for both

# SONY AIT-2
manufacturer=SONY model = "SDX-500C" {
can-bsr scsi2logical drive-buffering
timeout=800
long-timeout=14400
mode1 blocksize=0 density=0x00  # Block Size and Density
}

# SONY AIT-3
manufacturer=SONY model = "SDX-700C" {
can-bsr scsi2logical drive-buffering
timeout=800
long-timeout=14400
mode1 blocksize=0 density=0x00  # as close as possible to st.conf entry

I'm not sure if you have any AIT-2 drives but it sounds like you only have 2
AIT-3 drives.  So just leave it at 0 and set the block size in NetWorker to:

NSR_DEV_BLOCK_SIZE_8MM_AIT_2=128 (or to whatever you want)
NSR_DEV_BLOCK_SIZE_8MM_AIT_3=128 (or to whatever you want)
export NSR_DEV_BLOCK_SIZE_8MM_AIT_2 NSR_DEV_BLOCK_SIZE_8MM_AIT_3

Then you should be good from here on out.  Also check on that firmware too
as the AIT-3 drives had problems even mounting AIT-2 tapes.

Hope some of this info helps.

Chad Smykay, RHCE, LCNA
Systems Storage Administrator
Rackspace Managed Hosting (TM)