Networker

Re: [Networker] Dedicated Storage Node

2004-05-13 12:01:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] Dedicated Storage Node
From: "Wood, R A (Bob)" <WoodR AT CHEVRONTEXACO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 17:00:22 +0100
I'll admit it does all get a bit confusing and, sometimes, you have to
take a step back and say 'what am I trying to achieve here?'

Here's what I think you want to do
You have a bunch of data at a remote site that you want to backup and
keep a copy offsite.
You have a central networker server that backs up other stuff and you
want this data offsite too.
To backup the remote stuff you have a storage node.

The question is where to put the index files for the remote node and
where they should be kept offsite?

Is that the case?

Now, if we think of how the data would be restored we can get a clearer
picture of where we want the data and the index files.
The data for the storage node will get restored from the tapes at the
storage node
The index files used in the restore will be used by the Networker server
(so they need be at the same site as the Networker server), they don't
need to be at the remote site at all.

Ah, I hear you ask, what about a disaster recovery situation? What
indeed. Well, there's no problem, if it is data lost at the remote
storage node, retrieve the tapes and proceed with the restore as normal
(index files will still be on the Networker at the central site).
If it is the central site that has data loss, then having the index
files offsite at the remote end isn't going to help that much.

All I'm saying is that the index files really belong with the Networker
server and should be treated as part of the central site's data (unless
you replicate your index files, but that's a different strategy
altogether).

Hope it helps
Bob