Networker

[Networker] [Fwd: Re: [Networker] Most efficient way to create duplicate clones?]

2004-05-11 14:48:43
Subject: [Networker] [Fwd: Re: [Networker] Most efficient way to create duplicate clones?]
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 14:50:12 -0400
-------- Original Message --------
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 14:49:44 -0400
From: George Sinclair <george.sinclair AT noaa DOT gov>
To: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>

Well, both drives in the SDLT tape library are daisy chained with the
picker, and all three devices attach to the host (storage node) via a
single LVD SCSI cable, so everything is on the same SCSI channel via the
host's LVD dual channel Adaptec card.

Drives 1 and 2 in the LTO library are daisy chained with the LTO picker
and use channel A on their host adapter card. Drives 3 and 4 are daisy
chained and use channel B on the same card. This is also a dual channel
Adaptec card. As near as I can tell, the drives connect directly via a
chain.

The primary server and the storage node are not connected and can only
communicate via the network. They share no peripherals, cabling, etc.
Furthermore, the library on the primary server is connected only to the
primary server. So, obviously the network would have to be involved when
cloning data from primary server's library to one of the libraries on
the storagenode, and I think this was the slowdown I was remembering and
was confusing with the speed between the LTO and SDLT which should not
be a major factor.

There could be some speed issues between LTO and SDLT, or vice versa,
but I'm thinking it should not be a major problem and would certainly be
wayyyy faster than when operating between primary server's library and
storage node's libraries since LTO and SDLT libraries are both on the
storage node.

I guess I just have to decide if the simplicity of one clone pool
outweighs the benefits of having the cloned savesets on two media types
for paranoia factor. Hmm ...

George