Networker

Re: [Networker] Tru64 AdvFS File Domain Panic + NetWorker

2004-05-10 03:53:02
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tru64 AdvFS File Domain Panic + NetWorker
From: Riaan Louwrens <riaanl AT SOURCECONSULTING.CO DOT ZA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 09:55:00 +0200
Hi Randy,

I am not sure of Tru64 specifically, but "generally" speaking most operating
systems have the issue when there are "millions and millions" of files that
they have to handle.

It has to do with walking the filesystem to get to whatever file you have to
backup. (Meaning it isnt necessarily a Legato issue). I know some O/S do it
better that others (I wont start a Mikkersoft badgering spree here) but most
of them have some "limit".

I have found before on a Microsoft OS we had between 100K and 200K no of
files in a single directory structure and it "fell over" / took forever /
gave erros etc etc. On a similar spec Unix (solaris 8) machine the limit was
considerably higher ... but there still was a limit.

Now as so many other people will tell you your spec machine, and setup and
configuration will certainly improve or degrade those figures... which we
all know, but I will think that generally speaking you will still hit some
limit where your O/S starts suffering with the number of files in a single
directory or in a saveset.

Regards,
Riaan