Networker

Re: [Networker] Auto media verify?

2004-05-07 11:48:13
Subject: Re: [Networker] Auto media verify?
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 11:47:42 -0400
On Fri, 7 May 2004, Steve Rader wrote:

>My point all along has been that I trust that there is no problem.
>I think it goes to common sense: if DLT (or LTO) tape drives have
>issues writing to the end of tapes, then people in the know would
>have a low opinion of DLT, the vendors wouldn't be blathering on
>about how dependable DLT is, there would be posts on this ML from
>people failing to recover from the end of DLT, and Legato would be
>warning us about how we need to turn on verify to get dependable
>restores from DLT.  [Okay, I retract the statment about vendors:
>I suspect they would probably still claim that DLT is dependable!]

Steve, you're probably right. Hell, I don't even use DLT, I use AIT-2, but
the principle's the same. This may not sound logical, but I sleep better
at night, nowing I have the greatest amount of validation going on for
each tape cartridge that's used. Even my under powered Sun E450 doesn't
spend a heck of a lot of time processing AMV requests so I really have no
compelling reason to disable AMV.