Networker

Re: [Networker] recovery procedures needed

2004-05-05 10:48:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] recovery procedures needed
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 10:48:02 -0400
On Wed, 5 May 2004, Lenderman, Mark E WRAMC WASH DC wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I am trying to figure out the commands and/or thru the GUI to see if a
>particular file system is being backed up. The directory I need to restore
>does not show up in the nwrecover GUI. But the file system has a .nsr in it
>w/ only the name of one directory to skip backups on - not the one in
>question. How could this be? I'm real new to Networker. So feel free to
>speak simple/stupid to me.

It would help if you explained which OS your NetWorker server runs, and
the OS the client runs, as well as which version of NetWorker is running
on the server and client.

In general though, I find that using the "recover" command line is much
easier and quicker than using the nwrecover GUI. Just CD into the
directory where the item is that you want to restore. Then start the
recover CLI and at the "recover" prompt, type "dir". You can than
use the versions command to see the history of backups for a particular
item in the directory. See the help info for more details.

If you do not see anything with the recover command, something is wrong.
Off the top of my head, your server's index entries are corrupt OR
the file or directory is not being backed up.

You referred to a .nsr file, but it would help if you posted the contents
of that file here. It also might help if you explained how you have that
particular client's client entry set up in the nwadmin GUI.

Since you are new to NetWorker, I strongly suggest you ask your employer
to allow you to attend the NetWorker training course sequence. This list
is always here to help you, but you do not want to have to be posting
questions here and waiting for answers to basic questions during an
emergency when you urgently need to restore data.