Networker

Re: [Networker] Question on percent used value for tapes

2004-04-29 13:00:56
Subject: Re: [Networker] Question on percent used value for tapes
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 13:02:16 -0400
Thanks, Stan, but I was aware of this, and that's not really what I was
referring to. Maybe I'm a little confused, but when I see this behavior,
wherein a backup is running to a certain volume and then it loads
another and finishes the backup on the other tape, why would it do this
if the first tape had not reached the end? As near as I can tell, if
it's backing up the same saveset, it wouldn't request the next volume if
the previousone wasn't full, so you when it goes onto the next tape, you
should expect to see the previous one as 'full', but in this case it's
not. Instead, it's '100%'. Now, if in fact that tape really does have
more space on it then why is it that if I load that tape in a drive, and
I remove all other identical pool tapes from the library, and
re-inventory so NetWorker thinks this is the only one in there will it
not use this tape when I run a backup to this pool? It won't and it
still insists on asking for a writable tape, and this tape is still
listed as appendable? Seems to me that if it's asking for a writable
tape then it knows that tape is full, so why not report as 'full'? Makes
no sense.

George