Networker

Re: [Networker] RPC on a client outside the firewall

2004-04-28 22:52:05
Subject: Re: [Networker] RPC on a client outside the firewall
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 22:51:42 -0400
On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Rich Bonfoey wrote:

>Hey there
>
>We have a client ( running Solaris 8 ) that we would like to back up to our
>server ( Solaris 8).  The client is outside the firewall.  Our internet guy
>has RPC turned off ( security hole ) .  The server get a 'Connection Timed
>Out'.  I am assuming that because of the RPC being off it can't make a
>connection.  Is there a way around using RPC ?  If not is there a more
>secure RPC ?

Your network guy is foolish. What should be turned off on Unix systems is
portscanner. There's no need to turn rpc off completely. Further, it is
also possible to configure select ranges of tcp/ip ports for NetWorker to
use in backing up individual clients. This is described in the NetWorker
administration guide.

There are probably other options, but following the details under
the firewall section of the admin guide is probably the best option.