Networker

Re: [Networker] recover data from a relabled tape

2004-04-26 13:35:38
Subject: Re: [Networker] recover data from a relabled tape
From: Byron Servies <bservies AT PACANG DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 10:35:30 -0700
On Apr 26, 2004, at 10:20 AM, Darren Dunham wrote:

Some drives will also permit you to fast forward beyond the EOT mark
and then begin reading again, at which point scanner could recover
what
is left.  That is the trick, really: get beyond the EOT mark on the
tape somehow, then scan the rest of the tape with scanner.

Do you know of any particular drives that allow the FF past EOT to
succeed?  I've never run into any, but I don't use many different tape
technologies.

Sorry, not off hand.  If you are on a unix machine you can try it
youself with the 'mt' commands, though.

Byron