Networker

Re: [Networker] starting a backup job from the client

2004-04-20 04:42:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] starting a backup job from the client
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 08:37:08 +0100
Kate C. wrote:
So, savegroup cannot be run from the client side?

I had a client who wanted a command line alternative to nwbackup.  So, I
gave them the save command with some switches.  Somebody then told me that
savegrp would offer the client more control.

Well save _is_ the direct command line replacement for nwbackup, but
what did the user really want? Savegrp does a lot more, and others in
this thread have adequately explained how the client may start savegrp
which obviously needs to run on the server. However, a suitable group
needs to be configured on the server.

Remember that if you do local saves or nwbackup sessions, the ONLY think
saved will be the selected data. It will not save the client file
indices. So you really need a regular savegrp controlled backup in
addition to local save or nwbackup sessions.