Networker

Re: [Networker] Are you sure your savepnpc backups are good?

2004-04-19 09:51:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] Are you sure your savepnpc backups are good?
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:51:32 -0400
On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 15:39:02 -0500, David E. Nelson <david.nelson AT NI DOT COM>
wrote:

>> I've worked with savepnpc for a long time, I implemented it for the
>> customer it was designed for. Even then it needed a lot of work to make
>> it do what it was supposed to do. It was even more buggy then than it is
>> now, and we had several workarounds in place.
>
>So you're the one that we can blame this all on! ;) ;)

Ha! Absolutely not. I implemented it but didn't spec it, design it or write
it.

>Ok, I know about the must begin with 'nsr' or 'save' restriction.  How
strict
>is the location restriction? Must it be in /usr/[s]bin?  If so, I think
that's
>a little too strict.  We like to keep OS stuff seperate from "custom"
stuff on
>our filesytems.  Makes it easy to upgrade and move server around as needed.

That is the restriction, or more specifically, it must be in the same
location as the save command, which obviously varies between platforms.

>I would also add the ability to pass any number of arguments to these
scripts.
>If we want to keep all configs on the server, then the server must be able
>pass any options as necessary.
Sure, that's just the detail, but I would expect that to be the case too.

>BTW, I gave some thought on grepping for the 'savepnpc' process.  Not good
as
>savepnpc is still running to take care of the post functions.  Looks like a
>nsradmin work list query might be the best option.  So I have in order of
>preference from good to bad:
>
>- Work list query - A little coding but the most accurate and timely of the
>bunch
>
>- mminfo query for 'undefined' in sscomp - Easy to code, must wait for
drive
>status to go from 'writing,idle' to 'writing,done'.  This takes about 30
>seconds and things may/may not have happened during that time that we
should
>know about.
>
>- grepping /nsr/logs/savepnpc.log - Very easy but not enough info
contained in
>the file for accurate parsing.  Might also need to handle special cases
were
>days boundaries are crossed.
>
>- Do nothing and have resume ready
>
>Comments?

Honestly I think that the work list method is the only one you can rely on.
It's not that difficult to code, I've done it in the past.