Networker

Re: [Networker] How Others Do It

2004-04-07 09:19:01
Subject: Re: [Networker] How Others Do It
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 07:55:56 +0100
Leiss, Jeffrey wrote:
I'm trying to get a feel for how others group their BSM backups.. Do you
have a separate pool for them, or do you let them run along with your
file backups? And if you do how has your performance been?

My general strategy with pools where possible is to only separate them
based on retention or special handling needs. However, at my current
client we do on some sites use special pools for RMAN and Exchange
backups. The reason for this is contingency. In this company we can
never be quite sure what will happen next, and it is possible that
suddenly someone will say that we need to keep certain types of backup
for longer, so this gives us the flexibility.

Too many pools can restrict the operation of the server. We have one
site with only 4 drives in the library, but far too many pools. The
backups are fighting and queuing for the available drives since often a
tape from a different pool is being written.