Networker

Re: [Networker] Large Volumes & Speed..

2004-04-01 14:05:17
Subject: Re: [Networker] Large Volumes & Speed..
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 18:38:16 +0100
Robert McCarthy wrote:
Networker says my max parallelism on my server is 32, it won't allow
anything higher.

This depends on what edition of NetWorker enabler you have purchased.
Basically you pay more for a higher server parallelism. The parallelism
also increases when you add storage nodes.

Another thought.. Quantum's website says the SDLT320 will write 16
mb/sec uncompressed, thats about 1gb per minute roughly.  That is almost
10 hours to write 500gb of raw data, maybe my backups will just be that
slow.. I don't know the inner workings of Networker with compression and
such though.

You have two choices. Client side parallelism compresses the data before
it hits the network, but can cost you in CPU cycles on the client.
Compression on the tape device is better in most cases IMHO. If you use
both then you won't get any benefit from the tape drive's compression
circuitry, and you will appear to write data at your tape drive's native
speed and capacity. Don't forget that the data has already been
compressed at that point, so your 600GB volume might only show up in
NetWorker as 300GB. YMMV.

The suggestions of parallelism values are largely irrelevant here, since
that is not what is causing you a problem. You are having a problem
because your volumes are unworkably large, plain and simple. NetWorker
only takes one stream from a volume. This is the way it has always been.
It has been discussed many times, but so far Legato have not come up
with a feature to solve this. It was originally that way because there
was no point in taking two streams from a single spindle, however with
volume manager software this is rarely a problem these days. The usual
workaround is to define smaller save sets at directory level, but the
problem is that is restricts the way you arrange your data on the
volume, and if someone adds a directory you need to update the backup
configuration or the data won't get backed up. The workaround to the
workaround is to define a directive that excludes the defined save sets
and picks up any stray data. Check the archives for details.