Networker

Re: [Networker] Exchange 2003

2004-03-12 15:27:43
Subject: Re: [Networker] Exchange 2003
From: Scott Bingham <SBingham AT LEGATO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 12:27:24 -0800
Hello Robert and Anuj, et al,

I, for one, do consider this (disabled/disconnected mailbox failure) to be a
severe limitation, and currently plan to lift it in the next release of the
Exchange Module, subject to limitation -- the limitation being that the
mailbox in question must be a healthy, properly configured Exchange mailbox.

The typical reason where a mailbox might be disabled, but healthy and in
production: An Exchange administrator can build an environment where a
mailbox on the local Exchange Server is associated with a user whose account
is in a different Forest, in Active Directory terms.  In this scenario, the
local AD has a specially-configured Disabled User for the account.  (This is
described in detail in various Microsoft documentation, including KSKB
articles 278888 and 322890.)  Our current product relies upon AD for access
to the mailbox, and thus cannot access it.  This is what we currently plan
to address.

If, on the other hand, an admin has a normal local mailbox, and perhaps an
employee leaves the company, and the admin goes to "Users and Computers" and
disables the account, then Exchange Server will refuse us access to the
mailbox.  We cannot change that.  There will still be a workaround available
to Exchange-savvy admins, however, in that one can lie to Exchange, and
assign the well-known-ID of "SELF" to the "msExchMasterAccountSID" property
in AD for that user.  (Microsoft describes this method in MSKB 278966,
although they refer to a slightly different symptom.)  This simulates the
remote-forest user scenario, as far as Exchange Server is concerned, and
will allow a privileged user access to backup the messages.  Again,
unfortunately, that will not help us in the current Exchange Module
releases.  I am working on it.

Please note that all of this applies to Robert's error message, and the 2nd
and 3rd of the error messages within Anuj's post.  The 1st and 4th error
messages indicate that a particular message has been denied to us by
Exchange Server, e.g. by an antivirus program.

Hope that this helps,
_Scott