Networker

Re: [Networker] Database backup

2004-03-12 10:45:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] Database backup
From: "Christopher T. Beers" <ctbeers AT DARWIN.SYR DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 10:43:49 -0500
--On Friday, March 12, 2004 10:30 AM -0500 "Ciolek, Ken"
<Ken.Ciolek AT AIG DOT COM> wrote:
We backup the entire box including all database files and the database is
not taken offline? Why is this a useless backup.

The files are open by the database so since the database is writing to the
file is changes while you back it up.  The DB files are binary files are
usually do not change size, but the contents change and need to be
consistent in order to backup.

If you choose not to run the modules you must either shutdown the database
during the backup (look at savepnpc) or export the data into flat files
nightly (or hourly if you need to recover data to a more closer point in
time) and then back up the flat files.

We use modules in someplaces and in others, we stop the database (of place
it in hotbackup mode), we then copy the files by creating a snapshot of the
filesystem (using fssnap with Solaris), start the DB back up, and then
backup the snapshot location instead of the live DB files.

--
Christopher T. Beers
UNIX Systems Engineer - Syracuse University