Networker

Re: [Networker] Slow filer backups

2004-03-11 11:00:28
Subject: Re: [Networker] Slow filer backups
From: Howard Martin <howard.martin AT EDS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 11:01:03 -0500
On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 15:40:43 -0000, Krishnan, Ramamurthy (Temp)
<Ramamurthy.Krishnan AT KPMG.CO DOT UK> wrote:

>The sun machine is a E250.  LTO is LTO-1 in an ATL P7K library.  We are'nt
>using compression and the average backup time runs to more than double of
>what you specify.
>
>Thanks
>
>- Krishnan

Ah the E250 will only handle about 50MBytes/sec on Gigabit ethernet (varies
slightly depending on the processor speed, so that is probably your bottle
neck, if you could try the same setup on a 280R/240R/V480/V880 you might
double your throughput.
You might get some improvement through using client side compression
(directive with compressasm) but it might strain your filers.
If you want to check my diagnosis then run bigasm tests on the backup
server and then on the filers which will show more clearly (but not
exactly) where the botlenack is - see previous posts on this list for using
bigasm.
The other problem with an E250 is that is doesn't have many slots you must
be careful that the i/o rate of the aggregate of the drives on a single
SCSI bus doesn't greatly exceed the i/o rate of the bus. Again the use of
bigasm would indicate what the maximum i/o rate to your drives would be.