Networker

[Networker] File changed during save question

2004-03-09 13:36:48
Subject: [Networker] File changed during save question
From: Craig Ruefenacht <craig.ruefenacht AT US.USANA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 11:36:40 -0700
Hi,

I have an interesting question of which I'd like to know a definitive
answer on.

If Networker server (HP 11i, Networker 6.1.3) is backing up a Solaris
client (Solaris 8, Networker 6.1.3), and while backing up file X, the
contents of file X changes, what does Networker do, besides logging the
warning?

What I'm trying to figure out is whether Networker will continue to save
the file as it is on disk, or does it terminate the save of that file
and move?  I had to restore a non-important log file just now, and its
saved once a week during a full save, and the recovered file is much
much smaller than what the original was.  Its a log file that always
gets changed during backups (its just a plain text file, nothing fancy).

A more important scenario (and the one that concerns me) is if Networker
is backing up an Oracle database (9i), which is on a HP-UX 11i machine,
while the Oracle database is in hotbackup mode.  The data files are
constantly changing, and Networker will produce a lot of "file changed
during save" errors.  While we do one backup like this, I've never
attempted to do a recover of it yet (resource issues), though I plan to
in the near future.  I'm not concerned about recovering an Oracle
database from this state - what I'm concerned about is that the actual
Oracle database files won't be completely recovered (i.e, if I have a
800 Mbyte db file and Networker only recovers 100 Mbyte of it, so it
appears to be a 100 Mbyte file on disk, not the 800 Mbyte it should be),
and at that point, the redo/archive logs won't be much help.

So does anyone know Networker's behavior?

--
Craig Ruefenacht
UNIX Systems Administrator