Networker

Re: [Networker] Excluding files during an incremental

2004-03-05 12:41:04
Subject: Re: [Networker] Excluding files during an incremental
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 12:42:00 -0500
Hello, Simon,

One other way to handle this, other than the cron job method, is to use
a server side directive. Create two instances of the client. Client
instance 1 lists 'All' for the savesets, or minimally /home, but uses a
custom directive with the value:

+null: /home/username/archive

It would be in group A with schedule A. Schedule A can be whatever you
want.

Client instance 2 uses 'Unix standard directives' but lists the
following saveset:

home/username/archive

It would be in group B with schedule B. Just make schedule B run a full
on weekends and 'S' or skip on all other days.

You could use +skip, but the problem with skip is that depending on
which group runs first or which one ran last, t he index entries would
get marked out and your browse capability might not show the files. In
other words, when the second group runs it would update the index, but
when the first group runs, it would wipe out (cover over) what the other
one had done in terms of what shows up in the browse window for the
affected path. Could override this by fully specifying the path. I've
had luck with that before, but no matter how you arrange the start
times, will be a nuisance. +null accomplishes same thing but does not
remove index entries, just doesn't back anything up, but again, even
though it says to skip the data, it will not remove the index entries
like skip does.

So, cron job or server side directives? AS the saying goes, choose your
poison.

George