Networker

Re: [Networker] nsrd often hangs

2004-03-01 10:17:18
Subject: Re: [Networker] nsrd often hangs
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 09:17:03 -0600
In regard to: Re: [Networker] nsrd often hangs, Scott Russell said (at...:

>On Sun, 2004-02-29 at 18:33, Tim Mooney wrote:
>> In regard to: Re: [Networker] nsrd often hangs, Scott Russell said (at...:
>>
>> >We has a problem with the server hanging which was resolved by using the
>> >aic7xxx_old.o instead of aic7xxx.o in Red Hat 7.x.
>>
>> What led you to suspect that module?  I'm interested in learning what
>> trail you followed to get to that point.
>
>We ended up setting a serial terminal up to capture debug info. The oops
>was specifically pointing to the SCSI bus. Working on the assumption
>that the hardware was sane I searched http://bugzilla.redhat.com/ for
>"Red Hat Linux 7.3" + "aic7xxx" + "tape" and came up with several hits.

Interesting.  We're seeing occassional true hangs (no oops or other info
logged, the system just hangs.  SysRq *does* work, though).

In our case, only the internal disk is on the aic7xxx controller, the
tape drives are driven through fibre channel on a QLA2300 adapter.

>Searching the Red Hat bugzilla for open and closed bugs is a great way
>to find solutions or identify known problems. If you have bits of the
>errors handy try using them in a search.

Assuming you're actually getting any error or debug info.  I'm very very
familiar with Red Hat's Land of Misfit Toys, er, um, Bugzilla.

Thanks for the info!

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu