Networker

Re: [Networker] setting different browse policies

2004-02-26 13:58:36
Subject: Re: [Networker] setting different browse policies
From: Yura Pismerov <ypismerov AT TUCOWS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:58:32 -0500
   Same problem here. We had to set up a cron job that forces volumes
expiration once all the data savesets expired.
If you have sufficient number of drives you may want to set up a
separate tape pool dedicated for indexes (backup level 9).
This could be a potential solution for you.

Teresa Biehler wrote:

Hi,

I have a need to have different browse and retention policies for daily,
weekly and monthly backups.  For each client, I've defined:

-        a definition for dailies with a browse/retention policy of 5
weeks

-        a definition for weeklies with a browse/retention policy of 3
months

-        a definition for monthlies with a browse/retention policy of
one year

The different types of backups are filtered into different pools by the
group.

The data save sets are recycling as expected, but the index save sets
are picking up the browse/retention policy for the server which also has
the above browse/retention policy.  It appears that all index savesets
are using the browse/retention policy of one year.  This is causing a
problem because the daily pool is supposed to recycle tapes after 5
weeks.  Since the index save sets are written to the same tapes and they
have a browse/retention of a year, this is not happening.  How can I fix
this?

Thanks.

Teresa

Yuri Pismerov, Sr. System Administrator,
TUCOWS.COM INC. (416) 535-0123  ext. 1352