Networker

Re: [Networker] TSM Vs. Legato

2004-02-24 03:28:43
Subject: Re: [Networker] TSM Vs. Legato
From: Riaan Louwrens <riaanl AT SOURCECONSULTING.CO DOT ZA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 10:30:41 +0200
Having experience on both ... I cant really recommend one over the other -
but -

Your backup methodology is different (grandfather, father, son (legato) vs
"always incremental") between the two. So it depends on how your approach to
restores are.

I have run some tests,

With TSM our (test) backup seems to go faster (always less to backup on a
daily basis), but you have to have a rather large library, and you backup is
server is quite busy during the day doing tape consolidations, and space
reclamation etc etc ... Personal experience / opinion To do restores you
need to

Legato on the other hand (our preference) is to do a full backup every now
and then and to ten treat those tapes as "gold". This has saved my butt
numerous times (instead of having a range of incremental tapes to restore
from).

No I am sure many TSM punters would come up with a range of benefits to use
their product (and vice versa).

TSM has a whole bundle of releases and fixes and patch versions etc, which
on the one hand is handy - as problem you might not have (or will experience
in future) get solved. I prefer Legato's approach of waiting "longer" and
having more "stable" releases ... ect etc, yes I know that has its own can
of worm,s as regular list reader will know this has been ranted about
recently (not having easy access to fixes, bug patches etc).

I suppose in the end it comes down to cost, what product (hardware vendor)
your company prefers, and who in your country / region you get better
support from..... personally I prefer Legato, but that has probably got more
to do with the fact that I actually know what goes on in Legato ... ;p

Regards,
Riaan