Networker

Re: [Networker] Recovering clients defined with full-name (FQDN) only

2004-02-23 10:25:36
Subject: Re: [Networker] Recovering clients defined with full-name (FQDN) only
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 09:25:26 -0600
In regard to: [Networker] Recovering clients defined with full-name (FQDN)...:

>I have posted about this before, but here it is again. I would really like
>Legato or someone else to shed some light on this issue.

Have you opened a support call with Legato about it?

>HOWEVER, when upgrading windows clients to 7.1/7.1.1, recovers from the
>networker user GUI don't work too well. For some reason, the client
>reports the short name "foo" to the server, instead of the FQDN/long name,
>which ofcourse means that the server can't find the client and says that
>it is not a registered client. This is somethign new with networker 7!
>Directed recoveries to the same client can still be done though, so we
>have been living with this for a while now. The CLI command "recover"
>works without any problems as well.

It sounds to me like the GUI is using a different mechanism to determine
the host name than the CLI or nsrexecd.  That seems pretty odd to me.

I understand why having the short-name alias doesn't work for you, but
since that's the case, your only recourse is to make certain that at least
one of the two ``foo'' clients reports its FQDN.

I've noticed that many of the windows people I know have a "proper DNS
configuration is optional" attitude, so I would start by working with
your customers to verify the DNS configuration is correct for the clients
with hostname clashes.  Do they set things (correctly!) in the "DNS" tab?
Are they using a hosts file?

I don't have much experience with windows, but it also seems like there
are about a half a dozen different notions of "host name"  with windows.
Do all of the networking and naming systems in use on the box agree on
what the hostname is?

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu