Networker

Re: [Networker] Instead of using scanner

2004-02-20 15:36:00
Subject: Re: [Networker] Instead of using scanner
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 13:15:12 -0600
In regard to: [Networker] Instead of using scanner, Rich Rankin said (at...:

>        Regardless, I would like to restore the file without having to scan
>the tapes (almost 12 hours in processing).  Is there any process of using
>the index files to be able to review/select/restore the file(s).  Our
>environment is Networker 6.1.3 Build 428 on HP-UX 11.11.

Sure.  You've said your browse period is 1 year.  Assuming you still have
volumes that have backups of the client index that were taken within a
year after the saveset you wish to recover data from, you can use "nsrck -L7
-t <some date>" to merge those index entries into your current index for the
client, and as soon as you do, you'll be able to browse back to that time.

If you know the exact path of the file(s) within the saveset, you can
also just do a "saveset recover" that only restores that file (or those
files).  You still end up having to read sequentially through that
saveset, but the files are restored as their found in the saveset.  No
index entries needed.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu