Networker

[Networker] Need to confirm steps to upgrade to 6.1.4

2004-02-19 15:01:29
Subject: [Networker] Need to confirm steps to upgrade to 6.1.4
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:01:57 -0500
Hi,

We're planning to upgrade our current server (Solaris 2.8) and storage
node (redhat 7.3) from 6.1.1 to 6.1.4, and we wanted to confirm the
steps listed below for the install. We could go to 7.1.1 but felt more
comfortable sticking with the last 6.x "ironed out" version. Might
consider 7.x a little later. Anyway, I want to make sure that I'm not
leaving something out here. I checked Legato's web page, but it appears
that the most recent installation guide for Solaris appears under 6.1.1,
and the front page of the PDF identifies it as 6.1, Dec 10 2001 and Aug
31, 2001 for Linux. Guess the steps haven't changed but had a few
questions as mentioned in steps below. As near as I can tell, everything
is installed to default location of /usr.

<<  STEPS FOR UPGRADE >>
1. Backup all client indexes and server's bootstrap (savegrp -O group)
2. Record latest bootstrap saveset id and volume label (mminfo -B)
3. On primary server, tar off a copy of /nsr/res just for save keeping.
4. On primary server, make a copy of files: /etc/rpc, /etc/syslog.conf

QUESTION: On the primary server /nsr -> /disk2/nsr and most client
indexes reside under /disk2/nsr/index. No problems there. However, we do
have several large client indexes located under /disk3/nsr_index and the
given client specifies this under the "Index path" field for the client.
Not sure if this will create any problems?

5. Unmount all loaded/mounted tapes.

QUESTION: Should we remove the jukebox entries and devices? If so, I
guess we'd do that next before step 6.

6. Shut down the NetWorker software on storage node and primary server
and ensure no services are running (ps -ef | grep nsr).
7. Remove all NetWorker packages on primary server in order: LGTOserv,
LGTOnode, LGTOdrvr, LGTOclnt, LGTOman

QUESTION: Do we want to remove the license manager package (LGTOlicm)?
If so, what would the order be above?

8. Repeat removal of software on storage node in order: lgtonode,
lgtodrvr, lgtoclnt, lgtoman
9. Install software on primary server in order: LGTOclnt, LGTOdrvr,
LGTOnode, LGTOserv, LGTOman, LGTOlicm. Start daemons and verify (ps -ef
| grep nsr).
11. Repeat install of software on storage node server in order:
lgtoclnt, lgtodrvr, lgtonode, lgtoman. Start daemons and verify (ps -ef
| grep nsr).
12. If the jukeboxes and devices were removed prior then run jbconfig on
primary server to re-create jukebox and devices and then repeat process
on storage node server.
13. Test backing up some data and recovering some data prior to the
upgrade.

Not sure if we should do anything further.

Thanks for any suggestions or help on this.

George