Networker

Re: [Networker] laptop skeds (eg fulls when there's been no full recently)

2004-02-19 14:14:20
Subject: Re: [Networker] laptop skeds (eg fulls when there's been no full recently)
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 11:17:01 -0600
In regard to: [Networker] laptop skeds (eg fulls when there's been no full...:

>Is it possible to force a full backup when there's been no
>full since, say, the first Friday of this month?

It may be possible to configure NetWorker to do this automatically,
but I'm skeptical.

What is of course possible is to script this.  You would need to

 - use nsradmin to generate the list of clients in the group in question
 - loop over the client list
   - use mminfo to determine if the current client has had a full since
     first friday.
   - if not, add the client to the list to "try now"
 - run savegrp with `-l full' for all the clients in the "try now" group.

You could add additional smarts for

 - is the client actually on the network now (I would try rpcinfo to see
   if nsrexecd is available on the client), if not don't add it to the
   "try now" list.

 - have all the volumes/filesystems on the client had successful fulls?
   Your laptop might have had a successful full for C:, but failed on the
   D:\Really Important Files volume.

If you know perl or a similarly powerful scripting language, the task is
not too bad.  If all you know is UNIX shell, it's still possible but a
little more work.

If your networker server is not UNIX-based, I would suggest perl or python
or whatever for Windows.  ;-)

One other option: Have you ever considered enabling manual backups, and
educating your laptop users on how to initiate a client-side backup.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu